[Donnellparents] Donnell MS Announcements 12/1/15

Christina Zacharias czacharias at findlaycityschools.org
Tue Dec 1 10:31:55 EST 2015

Donnell Middle School Announcements

-Congratulations to SHOCKWAVE on earning the Bluffton Chamber of Commerce Award this past Saturday at the Bluffton Blaze of Lights parade.  This marks the third year in a row SHOCKWAVE has marched in Bluffton parade.

-Intramurals will start this Thursday at 7 a.m.  for any students that are interested.  No sign up necessary.  See Mr. Stutzman if have questions.

-Pride of the Trojans will be meeting this Thursday, after school until 3:15pm in Mrs. Dittman's classroom.

- Don't forget to save those aluminum cans for Mrs. Acuna.  The Ball Metal Corporation gives us money for them and we put it to good use!

-Power of the Pen meets on Monday and Wednesday after school.

-The second fundraiser for the Washington DC trip is underway. Students are selling World's Finest Chocolate bars.  The sale has been extended so please consider selling if you are not already. It is a great way to earn money towards the trip. More chocolate should be available by the end of the day.

-Mixed Bag orders have arrived!  We will be sorting them and getting them out to the students by the end of the week.

-Second Step is a middle school program that is a universal classroom-based prevention program designed to decrease aggression, bullying and increase student's social skills and school success. All DMS are involved in the program and it provides a foundation for creating a safe, respectful learning environment. Last week, grade 6 covered: Calming down strategies, grade 7 covered staying in control and grade 8 covered coping with stress.  Please contact us is if you have questions or concerns.

-Address changes cannot be processed without a proof of residency. Please be sure and send in a copy of a utility bill or other documentation that proves residency if you have an address change to be made.

-Parents dropping off students in the morning-- please do not pull into the parking lot on either side of the building.  All students being dropped off by vehicles need to be dropped off on Lime Street.  The congestion has become a safety concern for both students and employees.

FROM OUR ATHLETIC DEPT

8th Grade Girls lost last night at Washington.  Jocellen Puchta led the Donnell offense with 12 points and Makayla Slough had 6 rebounds for the defense.  Donnell girls will be home Wednesday night. Come out an support the teams!

7th grade girls started off their season with a tough loss on the road losing to Washington 17-27.  Taylor Gayhart led the team with 6 points, followed by Tara Spahr and Kaylee Brodine with 4 points each.  Kaylee also ruled the boards coming down with 10 rebounds throughout the game.  Come to our gym on Wednesday to see if the girls can get their first win of the season against Fassett at 4:30.

Wednesday
GW Girls BBall w/ Jefferson - 4:30 Glenwood MS
GW Boys BBall at Jefferson - 4:30 - Jefferson JH
DO Boys BBall at Fassett - 4:30 - Fassett MS
DO Girls BBall w/ Fassett - 4:30 - Donnell MS

Thursday
GW Boys BBall at Van Buren - 5:00 - Van Buren MS
DO Girls BBall at GW Girls BBall - 5:00 - Glenwood MS

Saturday
DO Girls BBall w/ Liberty Benton - 10:00 - Donnell MS
DO and GW Wrestling at Midwest Duals - 10:00 - Wauseon MS

Building Reminders:

Students/Parents: Gum is not allowed in the building and students chewing gum will be disciplined.  Please remember if you are chewing gum on the way to school to dispose of it in a trash can before entering the building.  We want to ensure our school remains beautiful inside and out.  Also,  please be respectful of our neighbors by not littering on their lawns or picking their flowers on the way home from school.

Arrivals/Departures:
Parents - please do not pick up or drop off any car riders on Baldwin Avenue.  All car riders should be dropped off and picked up on Lime Street.  It is very dangerous having students run across the street in front of buses in the dark.  Our students' safety is our top priority - please use Lime Street.

Parents - please be extra careful when dropping off and picking up your students on Lime St.  There should only be one lane of traffic on that street.  Please be patient and wait your turn as you drop off and pick up your student.  We appreciate your help in this matter...we want our students to be safe.

Email Alerts now available for Progress Book:
Once you have registered for a Progress Book account, you can go to the Family Information section on the left side and click on Alerts.
You can have an email sent to you for when your student is missing assignments or has received a low assignment score.  You must check the appropriate boxes and click the Set Low Marks Settings to view the classes you wish to see low scores associated. You MUST choose a letter grade for each subject you wish to receive the alert about.

Parents - please note that all absences must be followed up with a note from home upon your student's return to school.  If they do not bring in a note with the reason for their absence, it will be unexcused.  Also, each and every time a student will be absent from school, we must receive a call regarding that absence.  If before school hours, please leave a message on the attendance line  at 419-425-8371.

Progress Book Access
If you need assistance with setting up your students / parent progress book access, please go to this link off the Donnell website.  It is on the left side column called:  Progress Book Assistance.
http://www.findlaycityschools.org/pbhelp.html
Please fill in the form completely, with your student's full name and your full name.  If you just need the registration code, please state that and one will be sent to you.  Parents and students each have their own code.  If you are having other issues, please explain your situation and someone will contact you.

Lunch Accounts/ Fees:  Parents did you know that you can go through EZ Pay and sign up for text alerts to be notified when your child's lunch account is getting low?  Avoids having to check the account every day and student reminders don't always make it home to parents.  All you need is an email/phone number, your student's ID number and 2 minutes of your time, so check it out today at our school website!

Don Williams
Donnell Principal