[Donnellparents] Donnell M.S. Announcements 12/17/15

Christina Zacharias czacharias at findlaycityschools.org
Thu Dec 17 11:35:13 EST 2015

Donnell Middle School Announcements

-This is Spirit Week!  Attached is the dress suggestions for students and staff of Donnell. Friday is Ugly Christmas Sweater so let's all end the week before break with a bang and pull out those "cute" sweaters we all know we have tucked away in closets!

-Lost and Found has accumulated again and will be donated if students do not retrieve their lost items.  Please remind students to check the lost and found.

-This week the middle school counselors are visiting the 8th grade Social Studies classes to begin the 9th grade registration process.  On Friday, Dec. 18, students will be bringing home packets.  Please review the process with your students over break so when we return in January, they are ready to meet with the counselors.    If you would like a 30 minute meeting with your student and counselor, please contact the Donnell office at 419-425-8370.

-All 8th Grade Parents who have students who plan to attend Findlay High School next school year are invited to attend the 8th Grade Scheduling Meeting at Findlay High School.  Students are also encouraged to attend. This meeting will be held Thursday, Jan. 7, 2016, from 6-7 PM in the FHS auditorium.
Kristi Gerdeman, Freshman Counselor; Janice Panuto, Freshman Principal, and Middle School Counselors from Glenwood, Donnell, and St. Michael's will provide information about scheduling for next year.

-If you have not yet done so this year, please be sure your student's school fees are paid up to date.  This will ensure that access to Progressbook will remain open and grade cards will not be held.

-Pride of the Trojans will be meeting this Thursday after school in Mrs. Dittman's room.  The theme this week is Marvel Super Heroes.

-There will not be a PTO meeting for the month of December.  Our next meeting which will be on Monday, January 11th at 7pm in the Community Room.

-The second fundraiser for the Washington DC trip is underway. Students are selling World's Finest Chocolate bars.  The sale has been extended so please consider selling if you are not already. It is a great way to earn money towards the trip. More chocolate is available in the office.

- Collections have begun for the Teens for Jean drive. Gently used jeans are collected and distributed to homeless and needy teens.  A drop off box is provided in the office.

- The Humane Society is taking donations for our 4 legged friends.  A list of needed items is posted throughout the bldg. and drop boxes are provided in the bldg. for items such as dog food, laundry soap, paper towels, cat food, cat litter, bleach and toys. Donations are due by Dec 17th.

December's virtue is Compassion. Students who received this award demonstrate...kindness, caring, concern, courtesy, support, empathy, mercy, forgiveness, service, and helpfulness. Congratulations to the students!
Teachers selected:
     6th graders- Sophia Ruiz and Henry Charles
     7th graders- Rhys Bello and Maylia Stone
     8th graders- Mary Moser and Carson Gertz

- Don't forget to save those aluminum cans for Mrs. Acuna.  The Ball Metal Corporation gives us money for them and we put it to good use!

-Power of the Pen meets on Monday and Wednesday after school.

-Second Step is a middle school program that is a universal classroom-based prevention program designed to decrease aggression, bullying and increase student's social skills and school success. All DMS are involved in the program and it provides a foundation for creating a safe, respectful learning environment. Last week, grade 6 covered: Calming down strategies, grade 7 covered staying in control and grade 8 covered coping with stress.  Please contact us is if you have questions or concerns.

-Address changes cannot be processed without a proof of residency. Please be sure and send in a copy of a utility bill or other documentation that proves residency if you have an address change to be made.

FROM OUR ATHLETIC DEPT

The 7th grade Trojans defeated Glenwood 7th grade 36 to 27. Leading the Trojans in scoring was Chris Strzempka with 11 points AJ Adams added 9 followed by Riley Lanagan with 5. Andy Petiniot and Tyrell Cole each had 7 rebounds. Elisha Baxter came and played some lockdown defense.

The 8th grade boys improved to 5-3 last night as they came out on fire in the 2nd half for a 39-31 come from behind victory.  Carson Gertz led the scoring with 12, Ethan Canterbury added 11 points and 5 assists. Drew McClain scored 6 and Patrick Dillon had 6 points and some big boards.  The boys are off until January 4 when they host Lima South.

The Donnell Trojan wrestlers travelled to Lima Bath last night. They Defeated Lima Bath but lost to Lima Shawnee. The Wrestlers will be in action this Saturday in the Buckeye Conference team Dual meet tournament.

Thursday
Glenwood Boys BBall w/ St. Mikes - 5:00 - Glenwood MS

Saturday
Donnell Girls BBall w/ Glenwood Girls BBall - 10:00 am - Donnell MS
Donnell and Glenwood Wrestling at League Team Dual Meet - 10:00 - Lima West MS

Building Reminders:
Students/Parents: Gum is not allowed in the building and students chewing gum will be disciplined.  Please remember if you are chewing gum on the way to school to dispose of it in a trash can before entering the building.  We want to ensure our school remains beautiful inside and out.  Also,  please be respectful of our neighbors by not littering on their lawns or picking their flowers on the way home from school.

Arrivals/Departures:
Parents - please do not pick up or drop off any car riders on Baldwin Avenue.  All car riders should be dropped off and picked up on Lime Street.  It is very dangerous having students run across the street in front of buses in the dark.  Our students' safety is our top priority - please use Lime Street.

Parents - please be extra careful when dropping off and picking up your students on Lime St.  There should only be one lane of traffic on that street.  Please be patient and wait your turn as you drop off and pick up your student.  We appreciate your help in this matter...we want our students to be safe.

Email Alerts now available for Progress Book:
Once you have registered for a Progress Book account, you can go to the Family Information section on the left side and click on Alerts.
You can have an email sent to you for when your student is missing assignments or has received a low assignment score.  You must check the appropriate boxes and click the Set Low Marks Settings to view the classes you wish to see low scores associated. You MUST choose a letter grade for each subject you wish to receive the alert about.

Parents - please note that all absences must be followed up with a note from home upon your student's return to school.  If they do not bring in a note with the reason for their absence, it will be unexcused.  Also, each and every time a student will be absent from school, we must receive a call regarding that absence.  If before school hours, please leave a message on the attendance line  at 419-425-8371.

Progress Book Access
If you need assistance with setting up your students / parent progress book access, please go to this link off the Donnell website.  It is on the left side column called:  Progress Book Assistance.
http://www.findlaycityschools.org/pbhelp.html
Please fill in the form completely, with your student's full name and your full name.  If you just need the registration code, please state that and one will be sent to you.  Parents and students each have their own code.  If you are having other issues, please explain your situation and someone will contact you.

Lunch Accounts/ Fees:  Parents did you know that you can go through EZ Pay and sign up for text alerts to be notified when your child's lunch account is getting low?  Avoids having to check the account every day and student reminders don't always make it home to parents.  All you need is an email/phone number, your student's ID number and 2 minutes of your time, so check it out today at our school website!

Don Williams
Donnell Principal